The Licensing & Aeromedical section of the GCAA performs all the personnel licensing functions in the capacity of ‘Licensing Authority’ as envisaged in the applicable international standards. The function is delegated to the Chief of Licensing by the Director General of GCAA for ensuring that the requirements for Personnel Licensing as mentioned in ‘Chicago Convention’ are met in a comprehensive manner.
The GCAA Licensing & Aeromedical Section performs the licensing actions in respect of the following categories:
- Licences and ratings for pilots
- Licences for flight crew members other than licences for pilots
- Licences and ratings for personnel other than pilots
- Medical provisions for licensing
The licensing actions performed by the Licensing & Aeromedical section are administered by the office are the functions of State’s Licensing Authority for aviation personnel in the UAE with following responsibilities:
- assessment of an applicant’s qualifications to hold a licence or rating;
- issue and endorsement of licences and ratings;
- designation and authorization of approved persons;
- approval of training courses;
- approval of the use of flight simulation training devices and authorization for their use in gaining the experience or in demonstrating the skill required for the issue of a licence or rating; and
- validation of licences issued by other Contracting States.
The GCAA Licensing and Aeromedical Section plays a proactive role when it comes to maintaining standards equal to or better than international standards. A number of steps have been taken that ensure stringent but practical requirements guaranteeing a higher level of safety.
BASIC LICENSING PROCESS
- The Aviation Training Organization is approved.
- The Instructors/Supervisors meet the prescribed qualifications and are approved.
- The training procedures manual/program is approved.
- Training Devices meet the prescribed criteria and are approved.
- Applicant meets the Eligibility Criteria.
- Applicant has Medical Certificate appropriate to the licence.
- Approved Ground Course/Training is complete.
- Approved Flying Course/Training Program is complete.
- On Job Training is complete (if applicable).
- Experience requirement is complete (if applicable).
- Applicant has passed GCAA Examinations (as applicable).
- Applicant has passed GCAA Skill Test/Check.
- GCAA fee are paid & required documents are submitted to Licensing Office.
- Prior to the above, the Licensing Authority will ensure that
The GCAA Licensing & Aeromedical provides the following services:
- LICENCES AND RATINGS (examinations and licence issue/renewal)
- Private Pilot Licence (Aeroplane & Helicopter)
- Commercial Pilot Licence (Aeroplane & Helicopter)
- Airline Transport Pilot Licence (Aeroplane & Helicopter)
- Multi-crew Pilot Licence (Aeroplane)
- Instrument Rating (Aeroplane & Helicopter)
- Instructor Ratings (Aeroplane & Helicopter)
- Balloon Pilot Licence
- Flight Engineer Licence
- Flight Operations Officer/Flight Dispatcher Licence
- Aircraft Maintenance Engineer Licence
- Aircraft Maintenance Engineer Ratings
- Air Traffic Controller Licence
- Air Traffic Controller Ratings
- Temporary Authorizations
- Rendering Valid Foreign Licences
MEDICAL CERTIFICATES (Issue and Renewal)
- Flight Engineers
- Air Traffic Controllers
- Cabin Crew
APPROVALS (Issue and Renewal)
- Flying Training Organizations
- Aviation Training Organizations
- Flight Dispatch Training Organizations
- Air Traffic Control Training Organizations
- Maintenance Training Organizations
- Post Holders
- Flight & Ground Examiners
- Aviation Training Organization Ground Instructors
- Aeromedical Examiners
- Aeromedical clinics
- Aeromedical Laboratories