The General Civil Aviation Authority was created in 1996 by Federal Cabinet Decree (Law 4) to regulate Civil Aviation and provide designated aviation services with observance to the safety and security to strengthen the aviation industry within the UAE and its upper space. Since 1996 the Authority has made considerable progress and embarked on bold new initiatives to provide a better service to its civil aviation clients and stakeholders. Since 1996 many new projects and innovations have been initiated with generally excellent result, such as modernization of the air traffic control center program, Radar equipments and establishing of new facilities to serve the growth of the civil aviation within the UAE.
Since its beginning as a former directorate the authority has:
- Completed construction of its Abu Dhabi Headquarters which contain ATC center and other supporting facilities.
- Substantial Completion and occupancy of the Dubai Regional Office building to better serve our Dubai and Northern Emirates clients, and connected by an intra-net system networking with our Abu Dhabi Headquarters.
- Comprehensive creation of the necessary infrastructure to establish civil aviation services compatible with 21st century needs including state-of-the-art Air Traffic Control systems; Civil Aviation Regulations and AIP up-grades; Flight Safety Services procedures; internal HR structures and policies; and a host of other activities to ensure safe and efficient services.
Continued success in our nationalization program with certification of national personnel in the Flight Safety; Air Navigation and Administration & Finance Directorates creating an overall nationalization exceeding 49% of the GCAA workforce.
- The establishment and conduct of scheduled active audits of all UAE Aircrafts Operators, International Airports and Dangerous Goods forwarders to ensure aviation safety in operations, airworthiness and security functions.
- Introduction of Satellite navigation Global Positioning Systems (GPS) approach procedures for the Dubai International Airport – the first in the Middle East region.
Dubai Regional Office Location