Security is Everyone’s Responsibility!
The Global Aviation Security Plan (GASeP) provides guidance for priority-setting at the international, regional and State levels. It creates a framework within which ICAO, States and stakeholders can work together to meet shared objectives. Additionally, the GASeP supports ICAO's No Country Left Behind initiative to address common challenges, and it guides efforts to jointly further enhance aviation security. One of the five priority actions of the GASeP is to develop security culture and human capability, stating "The promotion of effective security culture is critical to achieve good security outcomes. A strong security culture must be developed from the top management across and within every organization. The existence of a well-trained, motivated and professional workforce is a critical prerequisite for effective aviation security."
What is security culture?
Security culture is a set of norms, beliefs, values, attitudes and assumptions that are inherent in the daily operation of an organization and are reflected by the actions and behaviours of all entities and personnel within the organization. Security should be everyone's responsibility - from the ground up. Effective security culture is about:
- Recognizing that effective security is critical to business success;
- Establishing an appreciation of positive security practices among employees;
- Aligning security to core business goals; and
- Articulating security as a core value rather than as an obligation or a burdensome expense.
The benefits of an effective aviation security culture include:
- Employees are engaged with, and take responsibility for, aviation security issues;
- Levels of compliance with protective aviation security measures increase;
- The risk of aviation security incidents and breaches is reduced by employees thinking and acting in more security-conscious ways;
- Employees are more likely to identify and report behaviours/activities of concern;
- Employees feel a greater sense of aviation security; and
- Aviation security is improved without the need for large expenditure.
UAE GCAA Year of Security Culture Participating
GCAA Year of Security Culture Workshops & Sessions