Air Navigation Services
To plan and operate safe, expeditious and efficient air navigation services in the UAE.
Air Navigation Service Provision (ANSP) is structured along standard ICAO principles. The responsibilities include airspace design and the provision of safe and efficient air navigation service to the users of the UAE airspace.
ANSP is stationed in Sheikh Zayed Air Navigation Centre (SZC), the largest and most advanced Air Traffic Management facility in the Middle East. The Centre consists of 2 main buildings, the Area Control Centre (ACC) and the Emergency ACC (EACC). It also has 4 unique 60 meter masts for communication equipments.
The ACC building has 600 square meters ATC room with sufficient sector suites to accommodate traffic growth for 20 years or a total traffic volume exceeding 2 million movements. The new state of the art equipment includes ATM display system, ARTAS and AMHS from Comsoft, while Integrated Voice Communication System is supplied by Park Air Systems and ATC
Simulator by Micro Nav ltd.
The Centre has 76 working positions for live ACC, military liaison and emergency cum training roles.
The ATM system permits flexible sectorization to task individual air traffic controllers in the most safe and efficient manner with a number of modern tools such as arrival, stack and departure flow manager and Short Term Conflict Alerts to optimize traffic handling.
The GCM has become pioneers in the region in areas such as integration of ADS-S in the surveillance picture through ARTAS tracker, design and implementation of RNAV1 for en-route and terminal environments. Together, these modernization programmes serve to alleviate traffic congestion, minimize delays, shorten routes and create the capacity necessary for sustained growth in air traffic necessary for the economic wellbeing of the country.
- The division is headed by the Executive Director ANS and has five sections. They are:
- Air Traffic Management (ATM)
- Communication, Navigation, Surveillance (CNS)
- ANSP Training (TRN)
- Aeronautlcal lnformation Service (AIS)
- ANSP Support Services
1. Air Traffic Management
Air Traffic Management is headed by Director ATM and has five operational sections. They are:
- Air Traffic Control (ATC),
- Unit Investigation,
- Research & Dataset Systems(RDS),
- Flight Data & Aircraft Monitoring.
- Airspace coordination.
I. Air Traffic Control (ATC)
- Area Control Center (ACC)
Responsible for provision of en-route services, alerting service and flow control within the Emirates Flight Information Region (FIR).
- Approach Control (APR)
Responsible for the provision of approach services.
- Communication (COM)
This section is the gateway for the Aeronautical Fixed Telecommunication Network (AFTN), Common ICAO Data Interchange Network (CIDIN), and Aeronautical Messages Handling System (AMHS) for the UAE. The responsibilities include monitoring of Air Traffic Service messages, management of Regional OPMET Bulleting Exchange (ROBEX) and archival/retrieval of flight plans for national security, Investigations. safety management and planning.
II. Unit Investigation
Responsible for the investigation of Air Traffic incidents. Based on the investigation, the section initiates staff counseling, Standard Operating Procedure changes etc.
III. Research & Dataset Systems (RDS)
This section is responsible for the adaptation and dataset management, research and design, modification, upgrade and Operational Verification of ATM.
IV. Flight Data & Aircraft monitoring
This section is responsible for analyzing daily air traffic movements for billing and statistical traffic analysis. Aircraft that are banned by GeM are monitored by this section.
V. Airspace coordination
This section Is responsible for the design of UAE airspace and liaison of it with neighboring countries.
2. Communication, Navigation, Surveillance (CNS)
CNS is headed by Director CNS and has three operational sections. They are:
I. CNS engineering
This section is responsible for the maintenance of the following:
- Air situation picture display at ACC, EACC, Simulator and ROS,
- Communicatlons equipment including VCCS, ATS messages handling switch etc.
- Voice and data links to domestic airports and neighboring countries,
- Two off-site radars,
II. Mechanical and Electrical
This section is responsible for facilities management, mechanical, electrical and general maintenance of the Centre and its remote radar sites.
III. IT engineering
This section is responsible for the maintenance of Office Computer, Operational Support LAN, and other peripherals.
IV. CNS training
This section is responsible for the training and periodical competency checks of Engineers and technicians.
3. ANSP Training (TRN)
The ANSP Training section is responsible for the coordination, execution and planning of all site specific training courses. These trainings are designed and updated continuously for all operational equipment and procedures based on relevant published documents like ICAO documents, Local Instructions, Letter of Agreements, UAE AlP etc. The section is headed by Manager ANSP Training and following are the courses offered:
- Standard site-specific courses
- Supplementary site-specific courses
- Ad-hoc site-specific courses
- Competency program
I. Standard site-specific courses
- Air Traffic Controller course for UAE Nationals with no previous ATC experience,
- Air Traffic Controller course for expatriates with minimum 5 years ATC experience,
- Flight data course for UAE Nationals and locally hired expatriates to work in the capacity as an Air Traffic Control Assistant,
- ICAO Courses
II. Supplementary site-specify courses
- On the Job Training Instructor (OJTI) course to prepare suitable candidates to conduct OJT for Air Traffic Controllers and Flight data operators.
- Examiner course to endorse suitable OJTls to become Local Competency Examiners and ATC Examiners,
- ATC Supervisor course to enable suitable candidates to work in the capacity of ATC Supervisors,
- Incident Investigation course to train suitable candidates to conduct Incident Investigations as stipulated in ICAO Annex 13,
- ACC familiarisation course for UAE National Controller cadets in preparation for the ICAO 054 & 055 courses,
- Pseudo Pilot course to certify suitable candidates to work in the capacity as Pseudo pilots in the Simulator,
- NOTAM course to train staff in all aspects of NOTAM management.
III. Ad-hoc site-specific courses
- Emergency Continuation Training course conducted once every year to familiarize Air Traffic Controller's with situation they do not handle everyday but should be able to handle if It happens,
- Remedial training course for Air Traffic Controllers or Flight data operators who are involved in Air Traffic incidents,
- Assessment of previous competence to assess the suitability of controllers to work SZC.
lV. Competency Program
- A yearly check carried out In the form of practical and written examination to verify the knowledge of Air Traffic Controllers and Flight data operators, is sufficient to perform operational duties,
- A yearly radar and audio tape review to verify Air Traffic Controllers and Flight data operators are performing their duties as per the standards stipulated by Civil Aviation Regulations.
4. Aeronautical Information Management (AIM)
The AIM operates as per the Standards and Recommend Practices (SARPS) as provided by ICAO and General Civil Aviation Authority. The AIM provides information regarding Air Navigation Services Provision and Flight Operations within the EMIRATES FIR. The department is headed by Director AIM and its responsibilities include:
- Prepare and mange the Aeronautical Information Publication (AIP), AIP Supplements, Aeronautical Information Circulars (AIC)
- Production of Notice to Airmen (NOTAM), checklist and list of valid NOTAM
- Maintain a systematic library of ICAO Publications, and other states’ Aeronautical Information Publications
AIM Design (Cartography):
- Production and maintenance of World Aeronautical Chart
- Production and maintenance of Aeronautical Charts that includes airspace, routes, flight procedures, aerodromes and obstacle charts
- Maintenance of Electronic Terrain and Obstacle Data (eTOD) Area 1
PANS-OPS and AIM Data:
- Validate and encode data pertaining to Instrument Approach procedures, Standard Arrival procedures, Standard Departure procedures and ATS routes
- Manage the exchange of Aeronautical Information Management Data
5. ANSP support services
The smooth functioning of the ANSP facility is the responsibility of the Support services section. This section is headed by Director Support Services. The activities of the section are:
- Deputy Executive Director ANS to deputize EDANS,
- Advisor for advisory service to EDANS,
- Logistic and Administrative support functions within SZC,
- IT, Finance, and HR Support functions